Q & A with Gerson Guitz, Hug It Forward’s Director of Bottle Schools
How long have you been leading trips for HIF?
- In total, I have been leading voluntourism trips for 6 years. Prior to leading trips for Hug It Forward (which I started doing in 2012), I led trips for another company in the area.
How many trips have you led?
- Over the past 6 years, I have helped a total of approximately 170 groups have an unforgettable experience of service and culture while in Guatemala.
What is your favorite part of your job?
- There are so many parts of my job that I love! Having led so many voluntourists, I have had the opportunity to meet many people from various backgrounds and cultures. I enjoy getting to know them and learn about where they come from and what life is like for them back home. Throughout the year while leading trips, I have the opportunity to visit many different parts of San Martin Jilotepeque. I enjoy spending time in these communities and getting to know the children at the different school sites. Lastly, when I am not assisting volunteers on their trips, I am engaging with the various communities which will be future projects for Hug It Forward. It gives me so much joy to help motivate these communities to build their own bottle schools.
What do you like doing when you are not leading trips?
- I have a 5 year old son, and when I am not leading trips, I am devoted to spending as much time with him and my family as I can! We enjoy traveling to different areas around Guatemala, as well as going to the water park!
Is there anything that you want to share with people?
- This work is my passion and I love my country so much! I believe in the power of education and that many of our problems can be solved through the proper education of our younger generation. I feel truly blessed to have the opportunity to be a part of this incredible movement.